Rev. Duplessis from Mt. Nebo Bible Baptist Church, Space Rites
THE BRIDGE is a multi-faceted outreach program to:
- Strengthen ties between New Orleans Airlift / the Music Box Village and the community surrounding our Ninth Ward headquarters and performance space
- Provide free public events that increase awareness of and accessibility to the Music Box Village as an open and essential resource for all
- Build bridges and support dialogue among disparate factions in our community
- Enhance the safety and beauty of our neighborhood
THE BRIDGE is designed to benefit all the people of New Orleans’ Upper and Lower Ninth Ward, with a special emphasis on those who live near the Industrial Canal, the literal and symbolic border.
With our community partners, we are creating and launching the Bridge programs in 2018, with a week of culminating events in May 2019. Stay tuned for more news about THE BRIDGE!
The first art initiative of THE BRIDGE, Turn the Tables,
is now open for submissions.
Turn the Tables
Turn the Tables is an intentional nod from Airlift to native New Orleanians of color.
We realize that this may be the most marginalized group in the city; yet they are largely responsible for the well-known New Orleans culture we all love. This installation is a symbol stating that we are excited to collaborate with the amazing artists from this community.
Artists will collaborate with Airlift to create tables for community use – activating space around the Music Box Village and the St. Claude Bridge. Table bases will be built by our engineers in an array of standard sizes. Artists will create the table tops in different materials based on the artists’ proposals.
This project is intended for native New Orleanians of color only – artists from the 9th Ward are especially encouraged to apply.
How to Apply:
- Artist Statement
- Three Different Samples of Work
- Write a one-page proposal of what you would like to do. Drawing of proposal is optional.
Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org by email – Deadline for consideration is December 7th, 2018.
Please check in with us at Public Hours Thursdays – Sundays, if email submission is not possible.